Lambert-Eaton News Forums Forums Living With LEMS De-Stress, Sleep, and LEMS

• De-Stress, Sleep, and LEMS

Posted by price-wooldridge on May 2, 2022 at 7:00 am

So far we’ve discussed 2 of the 4 strategies for managing STRESS when you have LEMS. It’s not good for anyone, but especially not a good thing to have when you’re dealing with Lambert-Eaton.

As a refresher, here is the four-pronged approach to managing STRESS in our daily lives.

The first topic I tackled was “Get Moving!” You can read it HERE.

The second topic I posted was “Watch What You Eat”. You can read it HERE.

Now I want to talk about “MEDIATING DISTRESS AND SLEEP”. The goals are to reduce chronic distress in our daily lives, help lower stress levels, reduce inflammation, and boost our immune systems. A notable feature of distress is the ‘fight or flight response we react with from daily stressors. The goal is to de-stress or reverse these physical reactions and depression that can result. We need more of those ‘feel-good hormones, dopamine and serotonin. What to do?

Here are a few PRO TIPS:

– Try and implement meditation into your daily routine. Deep breathing and focusing on your breathing depth and rhythm is a good exercise to help slow heart rate, relax muscles and relieve underlying tension. Honestly, I wish I were good at this one, but I’m not. I can’t ever seem to slow my brain down much. I have tried the Breathe app on my Apple Watch. It does work! Maybe I should give it another try.

– Improve your sleep hygiene, quality, and quantity of good sleep. This is a tough one, especially for LEMS patients who may be on IVIG or steroids. Personally, I use a melatonin supplement to help me relax before bed. I think it helps. Do your research and consider strategies you can implement in your bedtime routine to gain additional, restful sleep.

Everything I’ve outlined above you probably already know, right!? It’s one thing ‘knowing’ what’s good for you. It’s another thing ‘doing’ what’s good for you. This is your call to action! Start working on your diet. Get some exercise going. Consider meditation or other mental stress relievers. Assess your sleep quality and consider ways you can improve on it.

Do you have anything specific that works for you to destress yourself and help you sleep?

price-wooldridge replied 1 year, 11 months ago 0 Member · 0 Replies
  • 0 Replies

Sorry, there were no replies found.