Lambert-Eaton News Forums Forums Autoimmune LEMS Diagnosing “Autoimmune LEMS”: how long before your neurologist was comfortable with saying yours was autoimmune based?

• Diagnosing “Autoimmune LEMS”: how long before your neurologist was comfortable with saying yours was autoimmune based?

Posted by Dawn DeBois on December 15, 2019 at 10:00 am

New LEMS patients are rightfully nervous that cancer is the cause. CT scans and PET scans are scheduled for every 6 months for a few years for many. For some of us, however, our neurologists felt very comfortable with your LEMS being autoimmune based on our medical history. I was already diagnosed with 4 other autoimmune diseases prior to my LEMS diagnosis- Hashimotos Thyroiditis, Fibromyalgia, Psoriatic Arthritis,  and Ankylosing Spondylitis- thus my neurologist felt very comfortable that my LEMS was purely autoimmune after just one round of scans, especially because my LEMS symptoms had been present for well over 5 years. How about you?

Carmen Willings replied 4 years, 3 months ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • Price Wooldridge

December 20, 2019 at 10:06 am

Well, I’d like to think that the same applies to me.  A smoking history, and with several non-cancer related lung issues over the past few years, I can’t be so comfortable to let CT scanning slide.  Thanks!

• Carmen Willings

January 4, 2020 at 12:12 pm

My neurologist felt strongly that it was autoimmune based and not cancer as I had been symptomatic for at least 18 years! He said, “There’s no way this is cancer!”. Followed by “You are an albino zebra! I’ve never had a patient with LEMS. This is going to be fun!” (Side note. There is only one known albino zebra in captivity – Zoe – in Hawaii! I totally think I need to go visit my soul sister!!!) Even though my neurologist was certain it was not a result of cancer, he had me visit my hemotologist to be scanned and rule it out. Thankfully I was cleared and neither doctor feels I need ongoing tests. My hemotologist recommend the AIP diet and took me off of several medications, one of which was daily asprin I was on following several DVT’s and multiple Pulmonary Embolisms following a muscle biopsy during my HUGE flare up in 2016. I recommend talking with your hemotologist about removing any medications that could be contributing to LEMS symptoms.