Lambert-Eaton News Forums Forums Treating LEMS IVIG and Plasmapheresis Do you receive IVIG at home?

• Do you receive IVIG at home?

Posted by Ashley on November 8, 2022 at 8:15 am
    Good morning LEMS friends!

Last month during my infusion a patient care advocate from my health insurance company reached out to me with some exciting news! She was checking to see if I would like to change my infusions to in-home instead of going to an infusion center.

For me, this is big! I was given this option in the past, however, my neuro wasn’t too keen on it and I was told my copay would be higher so we did not pursue it. The advocate that gave me a call said she would work with my previous neurologist and my new one to devise a plan so I can begin the transition to home infusions! I was also promised that my co-pay would be equal to or less than what it is currently! 

I am really excited about this opportunity; we are still working out the kinks and I will be posting more in the future about the process if you guys are interested! 

For those of you who receive infusions, do you get them at home or in an infusion center? How was the transition from the infusion center to home if you receive home infusions?

Ashley replied 1 year, 4 months ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • carol-oliver

November 12, 2022 at 6:32 am

Hi  I’ve been getting ivig at home for about 2 years.  My first 3 infusions were in the hospital setting but it was my insurance that said to set up home infusions because it’s cheaper. I have a great specialty pharmacist and always the same nurse. It’s great infusing at home. Less hassle and more comfortable I would think your insurance company would have no problem. As for your Neuro maybe a persuasive conversation.  Remember your the boss in your healthcare !!!!!  Good luck and feel good every day

• Ashley

November 28, 2022 at 11:33 am

Hi @lakewinola

That’s awesome! I did get word that my insurance approved the switch to home, so I’m just waiting to schedule my first infusion and getting everything together that I need.

Yes, you’re totally right! We are our best boss and advocate!

So glad to hear that your home infusions go smoothly and it’s nice to have the familiarity of having the same nurse! I hope they will be able to do that for me too!