Lambert-Eaton News Forums Forums Treating LEMS IVIG and Plasmapheresis Does “brand” make a difference with IVIG

• Does “brand” make a difference with IVIG

Posted by price-wooldridge on September 10, 2020 at 9:00 am

Does it? It seems that on the immunoglobulin Facebook groups there’s much discussion on the different immunoglobulin brands. When I was getting my original infusions inside the VA, my infusion med came up loaded into one Baxter bag. There was no branding. The first time I took an infusion at an infusion center, I saw the actual immunoglobulin bottles with branded packaging. I was getting Gammagard. This is the first time I realized there was more than one brand. I asked my neurologist about this, but she said she paid little attention to that. Okay. About four months ago, I had pretty heavy flu-like symptoms post infusion a couple of days. The result, they changed me to Panzyga. So far, so good. I’ve had no adverse reactions since the change. Why? Not a clue, but I do understand that the formulations might be different. It’s still pooled antibodies, so beyond that it’s a mystery to me. Do you have a “favored brand” of immunoglobulin? And why?

Ashley replied 3 years, 7 months ago 3 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • dawn-debois

September 11, 2020 at 7:42 am

Hi @pricewool,

Yes, for me, brands definitely made a difference with IVIG.  They all have a very specific to brand make up with the fluid that contains the Ig. I can’t get into the specifics now; but when I come across a brand comparison chart that I used to look at, there were lots of differences. I had extreme  migraines with some and manageable headaches with others.

• Ashley

September 11, 2020 at 9:22 am

@pricewool @@dawn-debois

Here is the most updated comparison of the different brands of IVIG from the Immune Deficiency Foundation website!

I also found a comparison chart, but it was published in 2018, so it’s missing Panzyga.

I have always gotten privigen and that is the most popular prescribed brand in my area/at my infusion center.

• price-wooldridge

September 12, 2020 at 8:26 am

Ashley, thanks for the links. So many brands, and processed differently. Panzyga is my current brand, and I’ve had no issues. One difference I noticed, many have 30-35 nm filtering. Panzyga 20 nm. Also noticed the sub q brand has “virus filtering”. Wish I knew what any of this meant.

• Ashley

September 14, 2020 at 7:34 am

@pricewool

No problem! I find all of this interesting! I’ve only tried privigen so far. I know my infusion center will use Gammunex on occasion if privigen doesn’t agree with them.