Lambert-Eaton News Forums Forums General Questions and Topics Is LEMS your only autoimmune disorder?

• Is LEMS your only autoimmune disorder?

Posted by price-wooldridge on May 3, 2023 at 7:00 am

From talking with many LEMS patients, it seems if you have an autoimmune disorder like ours, you may very well have more than one. I wonder if you’re more than ultra-rare if you only have LEMS.

This month is Lupus Awareness Month as well as Celiac Disease Awareness Month.

I myself have a celiac autoimmune disorder, Dermatitis Herpetiformis, which causes a chronic, itchy skin rash. Essentially this is a reaction to gluten. My DH appeared a few years before LEMS.

Several other friends I have with LEMS also have Lupus, which often shows up as a facial rash, but can affect many other parts of the body.

Do you have more than one autoimmune disorder? And if so, which came first?

wanda-grischkowsky replied 11 months, 2 weeks ago 4 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • dorothy-dempsey

May 5, 2023 at 2:50 pm

I have Collagenous Colitis which is autoimmune for me. The LEMS diagnosis came first however I believe the Colitis was in play prior to the LEMS because I had the symptoms of Colitis before the Symptoms of LEMS, the diagnosis I got after the LEMS. However, there was not too much time lapse between the two!

• price-wooldridge

May 9, 2023 at 9:34 am

That’s one I’ve never heard of before. I feel the same way with my DH, except I did get that diagnosis first. Thanks.

• kim-vemmer

May 5, 2023 at 3:07 pm

I was diagnosed with LEMS and adult onset SID within days of each other, but I also have many other medical diagnoses that may be in part to my LEMS- hypersomnia, inflammatory arthritis to name a few

• price-wooldridge

May 9, 2023 at 9:37 am

This is so interesting that we seem to be predisposed to so many different autoimmune disorders. SID is one I hadn’t heard about with any connection to LEMS and autoimmune.

• wanda-grischkowsky

May 9, 2023 at 6:25 pm

I have autoimmune diabetes (Latent Autoimmune Diabetes in Adults), which was diagnosed one year ago.