Lambert-Eaton News Forums Forums Welcome Lounge Introductions IVIG home infusion question

• IVIG home infusion question

Posted by DCarpenter on June 30, 2022 at 8:17 am

Hi all, I have had monthly infusions for over a year. Recently the long time nurse who comes to my home tested positive for COVID (had symptoms) right after she left me (within 7 hrs) so she was obviously contagious when she was with me.  We both mask all the time, and she does not stay in the room with me full time.   I reviewed the CDC, home nurse association websites, and called the nursing home company…they said there was no rapid test requirement to come into the home to administer IVIG, even if the patient is immunocompromised.  Have you all had any experience with home care staff having rapid test requirements? thanks Deborah

DCarpenter replied 1 year, 9 months ago 3 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • Price Wooldridge

July 1, 2022 at 7:57 am

Neither Ashley or I do home infusions, so hopefully someone who does will respond. I go to an infusion center, and know of at least two of my infusion nurses have had COVID. Because all of my infusion nurses also go out to homes for infusions, I am cautious. In the center I always wear a mask when one of them is in the room and expect them to do so as well. As the pandemic has lessened, everyone is more lax, but not so in a medical setting. Masks are required at all clinics I visit. That doesn’t answer your question, but I wanted to add a little perspective.

• DCarpenter

July 1, 2022 at 5:25 pm

thank you…reinforces that my concern is legit.  Today I offered another home nurse a rapid test when she arrived, and she vehemently declined.  We both wore masks.

• Joyce Crawford

July 2, 2022 at 8:53 am

Hi DCarpenter,

As a retired home health RN, I think that it was very unprofessional for your nurse to not take the rapid test to enter your home. You have the right to require certain things when having home visits. The basic rules are in the initial paperwork that you signed when they started, and they are required to go over these and leave you a copy. There is a national home care hot line number that is for any unresolved problems. The regulations and phone number are required by the Federal Medicare rules. You nurse should have been prepared by her company to know that some patients will want to do this. Please call her supervisor and report your concerns. If they do not listen, then call the hot line number. Keep us updated and good luck. Joyce Crawford

• DCarpenter

July 5, 2022 at 3:52 pm

Thanks for your helpful insight Joyce, especially since you have first hand experience in home care. Nurse # 2 came this past weekend and I gave her a test and asked her to please use it. She adamantly refused.  I did call nurses’ supervisor, same company. She said that CDC didn’t require it and it was complex operationally—false positives who will pay for them, etc. I’ll pursue the toll free home health number—assume Medicare?  Thanks again! Deborah