Lambert-Eaton News Forums Forums BioNews Content Flash Briefings Meditation is good for those of us with LEMS.

• Ashley

September 15, 2020 at 7:49 am

Hey @pricewool

I love this flash briefing you did! I completely agree that it is VERY important to not be obsessive with your health conditions in general and have found that the more I worried about LEMS symptoms, the worst I felt. My symptoms became exacerbated due to stressing myself out. When I took a step back, I actually felt a lot better and symptoms became more manageable.

I think meditation and mindset are very important for the chronic illness community in general. I believe having a positive mindset makes a big difference in the symptoms you experience. Finding some happiness or “making lemonade” when you are given lemons is extremely important and I try not to focus too heavily on the negative because I can literally feel it dragging me down.

As you may know, I have been practicing yoga for a couple of years now. This has really helped me center myself and become more mindful. Yoga is one of those special places you mentioned loving so much. I also really enjoy the beach, especially at sunset and sunrise. I have been bad in the past about making time for myself, but this summer has made me realize that I need to take more time for myself and “let go” of some of the things that have overstressed me/caused flares in the past.

Thank you for sharing these useful tips with us! I hope some will find them useful!

• Dawn DeBois

September 15, 2020 at 5:20 pm

Hi @pricewool,

I’m so envious of you and that pool!! I’d be fighting you for waterfall time if I was there! I absolutely agree meditation and finding peace amidst the current storms we are living through is so important.

Like other LEMS patients, I don’t do well in heat and high humidity. However, the last of summer in Maine has been absolutely gorgeous. Low 70s and blue skies everywhere. I spend time each day parked in the middle of my back lawn, listening to tunes on my iPhone and thinking about nothing else other than the fact that I’m so fortunate to have such a gorgeous personal space to myself during this pandemic.

Where I currently meditate.

Once the snow falls, I’ll have to find another place to meditate, however. Haha!