Lambert-Eaton News Forums Forums Living With LEMS Mom says, Eat Your Vegetables!

• Mom says, Eat Your Vegetables!

Posted by price-wooldridge on January 19, 2023 at 7:00 am

Fresh vegetables are a key component of an anti-inflammatory diet, helpful to those of us with LEMS and other autoimmune disorders.

I remember my mom always getting on me at the dinner table, “Eat your vegetables!” Okay, Mom, just no asparagus or Brussels sprouts, please!

A major component of the Mediterranean Diet is eating lots of fresh vegetables. Now that I’m way older, and wiser, my mom was right. I love eating fresh-cut vegetables. Many are great eaten raw, but I especially love cooking them up in a skillet with olive oil, spices, and sauces.

I begin by buying fresh vegetables at the market. You can pick what you like, but I love zucchini, squash, peppers, onions, garlic, broccoli, and cauliflower. I heat up a non-stick skillet, add veggies and toss for a couple of minutes in hot olive oil. My current favorite add-in is Morton Nature’s Seasonings. Then I add a bit of water to the skillet, cover, and steam for about 3 minutes. After uncovering the steaming, tender veggies, I add any additional seasoning sauce I may want to add. I like it hot so often I add a few shakes of Tabasco sauce! Or Tamari if I want that Asian kick.

I hope you will start adding fresh-cut vegetables to your Mediterranean Diet.

Do you have a special, healthy way you like to prepare yours?

price-wooldridge replied 1 year, 2 months ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • wanda-grischkowsky

January 20, 2023 at 3:11 pm

I prepare my veggies pretty much the same way and experiment with different seasonings. Because I have gastroparesis, my vegetables are cooked a little longer to help with digestion.

• price-wooldridge

January 21, 2023 at 12:38 pm

I’ve gotten in a rut using Morton Nature’s Seasonings, but also have used Target’s Good & Gather Salt-Free Original. Also, though not lately, some of the Mrs. Dash seasoning blends. And I agree, it’s good to use lots of seasonings to make dishes taste great.