Lambert-Eaton News Forums Forums General Questions and Topics Post IVIG Side Effects after First Treatment

• Post IVIG Side Effects after First Treatment

Posted by George on March 6, 2024 at 4:35 pm

Hey Everyone,

I received my first IVIG yesterday and have had side effects of flushness, trouble sleeping, and a headache. I was wondering if anyone has had similar side effects and if it gets better after later treatments or if there are any ways to help mitigate the side effects.

Thanks!

George replied 1 month, 2 weeks ago 5 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • Price Wooldridge

March 8, 2024 at 2:31 pm

Hi George! Yes, I’ve experienced exactly what you describe when I started IVIG some years ago. You are receiving pooled antibodies from a large group of blood donors, so it’s understandable that your body might not be very “happy” to receive them. For me, subsequent infusions beginning 4 weeks later were much better tolerated, though I did get nauseated at each infusion about 30 minutes in.

There are strategies to help with these problems, including pre-loading with an antihistamine (usually Benadryl), Tylenol, and for some patients, a steroid given by IV before the procedure.

Discuss all of this with your prescribing doctor and your infusion team. Reducing the infusion rate can help with the headaches sometimes. For my nausea we pushed Zofran pre-infusion for a long time. Eventually I got over it and we stopped that med.

Good luck with your infusions ahead, and work with your infusion team to make them as comfortable as possible.

• Tom sharpe

March 8, 2024 at 5:33 pm

Greetings

I had my first ivIG last month. My doctor ordered Tylenol and benedryl as pre meds per session.

My first month was spread over 5 days, 20% of a full dose each day, I did not experience side effects. Benedryl pill form was much better than IV benedryl.

Next week is my second month full monthly dose over 2 days, will let you know my experience.

Best wishes going forward.

• carol Oliver

March 11, 2024 at 6:37 am

Hi

I have been getting ivig for several years. As above, I am prescribed Tylenol and Benadryl prior. Also, make sure you are well hydrated, drink as much water as you can the day before and day of. Yes, the i can have some slightly disturbed sleep.

Blessings

Carol

• George

March 12, 2024 at 9:06 pm

I appreciate everyone’s answers and feel more prepared for the next one. Thank you all!

• Ashley

March 14, 2024 at 12:12 pm

Hey @George

I have a history of migraines so my neurologist has taken some extra steps which have prevented me from having intolerable migraines after IVIG. I usually still have a mild headache and take ibuprofen and tylenol during and immediately after my infusion. That helps alot!

My infusion regimen is 500mL 0.9% nacl before and after my infusion along with 50mg IV benadryl, 500 oral tylenol, and IV solumedrol (A steriod). This has made a HUGE improvement in my headaches. The extra hydration really helps me. I also drink Liquid IV during and after which also helps with hydration.

The speed of the infusion is also a BIG factor in headaches. I keep my max rate (at 120mL an hour) pretty low which also has made a big difference. I’ve found that some people try to push this faster to have a quicker infusion, but to me, low and slow is better.

Hope some of the tips from everyone help you have a smoother infusion next time!

• George

March 14, 2024 at 3:31 pm

Thanks for the details! Much appreciated