Lambert-Eaton News Forums Forums Living With LEMS To Cane or Not to Cane?

• To Cane or Not to Cane?

Posted by price-wooldridge on July 4, 2022 at 7:00 am

When you have LEMS, maintaining balance, walking a straight line, and not tripping over your feet can become challenging. Falls are dangerous. We don’t want to have those.

While I’m still relatively mobile, my walking is slow and isn’t the greatest. At times I have difficulty not bumping into the person walking next to me. Occasionally I’ve crossed the intersection near my home with cars at the crosswalk. I wonder if they think I’ve had a bit too much Jack Daniels. What to do?

One possible solution is a cane. I’ve been very resistant to the thought of using a cane. How many times have I been asked in some clinic, “Do you use a cane?” Nope. Not me. Nope.

Perhaps my niece has been watching me walk recently because, for my birthday, she gifted me a set of trekking poles! Ah. Now we might be onto something! Trekking poles have a bit of cache! I’m not making light of assistive devices. There was a time when I had a hoop on a stick to pull my legs up into bed. But trekking poles might help me cross my mental roadblocks.

Recently I read a column by BioNews Multiple Sclerosis columnist, Ed Tobias, talking about all his canes over the last 10 years. He seemed quite happy with his latest. Perhaps full-time cane users develop a close relationship with their cane.

Am I ready for a cane? As you see from this photo, they’re at the door. They feel pretty nice trying them out around the living room. I’m almost ready to take them out for a spin around the block.

If you use assistive devices for mobility, what are your thoughts on using them?

price-wooldridge replied 1 year, 9 months ago 4 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • anngail-norris

July 5, 2022 at 3:43 pm

I’m sorry that you are having these mobility issues. At the same time it’s a relief to know that I am not the only one to feel as if I’m drunk all the time!  When I first had symptoms, I went from using a cane to a walker to a rollator and finally a wheelchair. It was all very demoralizing. When I was finally diagnosed and started on medication I was so thrilled that I was able to walk unassisted. In fact, about 6 months ago I was having lunch with a friend who had hip problems. Since I wasn’t using it anymore, I gave her my cane. It was one of the fancy ones from Amazon. For the last month or two, I am having new mobility problems. I haven’t fallen, but I tend to hang on to walls or tables as I walk. Outside is not great. About two weeks ago my daughter asked me why I wasn’t using a cane. I was too embarrassed to tell her it was vanity. Plus, I didn’t want to admit that I was having issues. Well, I bought another cane. I don’t use it often, but it’s sort of a security blanket. I know I can walk without it, but I admit that it does steady me. I just need to get over myself and do what’s best for my health and safety.

• price-wooldridge

July 5, 2022 at 4:49 pm

Thanks for sharing your experiences with mobility. I think many if not most LEMS patients have balance and or walking issues at some point. When LEMS symptoms get difficult, it’s often reflected in increased hip weakness.
      Ah, you used the “V” word. I’m shy about that one, but we all care about how we appear to others, how we look. Using a cane is a pretty strong signal to others that we have physical issues. Canes are the ‘grey hair’ of mobility. Ha!
      When you factor in outward appearance vs walking more securely and confidently, at some point discretion is the better part of vanity. There’s that word again!

• morgan

July 5, 2022 at 10:00 pm

Early on when my symptoms first appeared I started having falls. As much as I hated to I knew I needed an assistive device for safety. I thought a walker would be the best option. I started with a standard then upgraded to a rollator. I relied on it pretty heavily in the beginning. After starting medication I could take short shopping trips without using it. Unfortunately, my symptoms came back and I had to use a wheelchair for a short time. I am now back to using the rollator again. I hate the vanity part about it, too, but safety is more important.

• price-wooldridge

July 7, 2022 at 7:16 pm

Definitely discretion is the better part of being safe and secure. I didn’t know what a ‘rollator’ was and had to look it up. I’ve only previously had a basic walker with the tennis ball feet. It sure was essential when I needed it though. I’m glad you’ve found what works for you!

• david1949

July 6, 2022 at 3:48 am

<p style=”text-align: left;”>I rely on a variety of mobility aids for my own safety and for my wife’s well being. I have a quad cane and go up to a rollator. I recently purchased a stand up rollator with arm pads because my posture is horrible. If I am going longer distances I use a mobility scooter. I do not own a wheelchair but we have rented one on occasion. In airports, I move about in the airline courtesy carrs. I am not at all embarrassed to use them. They are my friends that “take me out for a walk” and allow me to do more with my LEMS. Now, if the humidity wouldn’t just go away!</p>

• price-wooldridge

July 7, 2022 at 7:17 pm

The summer months are especially difficult for us LEMS patients. The heat and humidity can make the LEMS very difficult. I agree, it’s good when you secure enough in yourself that there are no qualms about using assistive devices where and whenever they’re needed.