• Vaccines with LEMS

Posted by Ashley on September 25, 2020 at 12:04 pm

With flu season quickly approaching, flu vaccines are already being rolled out.

I always get a flu vaccine every year, my employer makes it mandatory unless we have a religious exemption.

I found a great article about Vaccines and LEMS.

My neurologist encourages me (and other patients) to get this vaccination yearly. What about yours?

Also, what are your thoughts on the COVID-19 vaccine they are in process of developing? Do you plan to get it when it is released?

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts. I know this can be a controversial topic.

Ashley replied 3 years, 7 months ago 3 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • Dawn DeBois

September 25, 2020 at 5:18 pm

Hi @ashleygregory757,

Great questions!  The last flu shot I had, several years ago, I became really sick and still got each virus that was going around the call center I was working at. My PCP and neurologist are ok with me not getting the flu shot due to how sick it made me. We also feel that the antibodies I’m getting from my immunoglubulin g treatments (now Hizentra), have been very beneficial. If I worked in the healthcare industry like you do, I’m sure I’d have to give it another look.

As far as the COVID vaccine- I do not intend to get the very first one they rush through. I want to see the results from people who do get it, over the long term. Understanding the background of how pharmaceuticals need to go through many levels of trials prior to approval, it’s a bit disconcerting for me to hear all of the talk from the White House about how “soon” we will have a vaccine. I do not like politics getting involved with and influencing science- not one bit. I’m not injecting my body with something that a politician is pushing for a re-election bid anymore than I’m putting one of their signs on my lawn.

Speaking of COVID- I had my first COVID nasal swab done today. I’ve had a sore throat, stuffy nose and now a headache for most of the week. Because of the sore throat and stuffy nose, I couldn’t go to PT for my concussion rehab and can’t return to PT until either a negative COVID test or 14 days after these cold symptoms disappear. I don’t want to lose ground on how PT has helped me so my PCP set me up for the test. It was uncomfortable but worth it. It will be interesting to see how long it takes to get my results back.

~Dawn

• Price Wooldridge

September 25, 2020 at 5:41 pm

It’s not a controversial topic for me @ashleygregory757. I’m vulnerable as I think most LEMS patients are, and I have other risks as well. The flu shot is always top of my list as soon as the vaccine is available. I’ve already received mine. Same for any Covid developed vaccine. Healthcare and public service individuals who come in close contact with the public should be first. I’d like to think, given my risk factors, I’d be eligible to get it soon after. I’ll be first in the que.

• Ashley

September 27, 2020 at 9:35 am

Hi @dawn-debois

Sorry you have had a bad experience with the flu vaccine in the past! My neurologist actually recommends that I get the flu vaccine yearly, even with IVIG. Immunglobulin is pooled antibodies as you know,  however since it takes about nine months to process, you likely aren’t receiving antibodies similar to the flu vaccine because the strains likely weren’t active or “alive”. I’m glad you have found something that works for you.

Hey @pricewool

I completely agree with you. I also don’t delay in getting the flu shot because I’d rather know for sure that I’m covered and I don’t experience any side effects from the vaccine.  I haven’t made up my mind about the COVID vaccination yet. The only reason I feel slightly uncomfortable getting it is because they have not done all of the studies and testing to ensure it is safe since they rushed to make it.