Lambert-Eaton News Forums Forums General Questions and Topics What Does The Assistance Fund Cover?

• What Does The Assistance Fund Cover?

Posted by Heather on March 13, 2024 at 1:13 pm

I got approved by TAF, but now I have no idea what they cover other than the obvious stuff on the website – transportation, firdapse, and “any FDA approved treatment” along with the cost to administer… does that include IVIG?

Then it says incidental medical expenses- what are those?

And lastly, if I’m not on Medicaid, are there any pap programs that cover private caregivers to assist with ADLs? I’m dealing with a fractured leg, mixed with LEmS and my preexisting primary immune deficiency. I’m a single mom with good insurance – I need private duty caregivers because basic ADLs are extremely difficult.., but the minimum is 1500/week. Only programs are for Medicaid. I’d welcome thoughts.

Jamie L Sanderson replied 2 weeks, 2 days ago 3 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • Ashley

March 14, 2024 at 9:56 am

Hey @Heather !

I do not have personal experience with The Assistance Fund, however I did find a little bit of information on their website. I’m not sure what their definition of “incidental expenses” is, but it looks like they provide financial assistance with the following out-of-pocket costs:

• Prescription drug assistance (copays, deductibles, and coinsurance) on FDA-approved treatment
    • Health insurance premiums
    • Therapy administration costs
    • Treatment-related ground travel costs

They also have a number listed for the LEMS program, and they might be able to answer your questions better than I can. The number is +1(855) 266-4374

I’m also not too familiar with programs for caregivers but I can look into it, or maybe someone else here has experience.

Hope this helps some!

• Heather

March 15, 2024 at 3:46 pm

Thank you Ashley! Yeah, I waited on hold for an hour and gave up! I’ll try again :). I want to ensure I’m aware of what they do and don’t cover.

Heather

• Ashley

March 21, 2024 at 10:42 am

Hi @Heather So sorry you were stuck on hold forever! How are you doing?

• Jamie L Sanderson

April 9, 2024 at 5:28 pm

Hi Heather,

The information Ashley shared is correct.

One thing they approved was to cover my Medicare doctor appointment copay’s. Mark did budget without this at the beginning of the year. However, we have yet to receive reimbursement. As you can imagine how it adds up with each appointment.

Mark has tried multiple times to speak with someone over the phone. He’s placed his phone on speaker and waited for over an hour.

I’m not sure what else to do other than to keep trying. I’m going to try doing myself.

I’ll keep you informed.

• Ashley

April 12, 2024 at 9:29 am

Hi @Jamie L Sanderson

I’m so sorry you are going through the same frustration! Did you end up being able to get in touch with them?

• Jamie L Sanderson

April 13, 2024 at 12:12 am

Hi Ashley,

Thank you for asking.

I still have yet to speak with a live person. It’s disappointing. I’ve been approved for assistance but I’m still unsure how it fully works. I would expect more information explaining the mechanisms for how it works. I’m not giving up. 🙃