Lambert-Eaton News Forums Forums Autoimmune LEMS What other autoimmune diseases do you have other than LEMS?

• Carmen Willings

January 4, 2020 at 12:17 pm

I have been diagnosed with several autoimmune diseases as well: Celiacs Disease, Raynaud’s disease, Dercum’s Disease, Rosacea (doctor’s argue whether that is autoimmune or not) and now LEMS.

• Dawn DeBois

January 4, 2020 at 1:47 pm

So you are apart of the Multiple Autoimmune Syndrome club as well,huh. Has changing your diet helped these other autoimmune diseases as well?

• Ben Brown

January 4, 2020 at 2:00 pm

I have alopecia, an autoimmune disorder that attacks hair folicles. I’m 39, and lost most of my hair when I was 3.

• Dawn DeBois

January 4, 2020 at 2:28 pm

Ben, my heart goes out to you. I’ve lost a lot of hair due to various meds but I do not have alopecia.  I have a friend who has it, though, and she lost her very long thick blond locks in her mid 40’s.  Hair is such a point of identity.

• Carmen Willings

January 4, 2020 at 2:29 pm

Oh my goodness yes!!! I don’t know if I have ever felt a sense of peace in my gut! Even after going strict gluten free after my Celiacs diagnosis about 7 years ago I still would get cramps and be constantly constipated. In addition to eliminated all the foods, I have changed up my cookware. No plastics. No non-stick. No microwave. Checking all my products on the ewg.org website. Just trying to eliminate all toxins that could be causing all these autoimmune diseases!

To date it has not made a difference in my Raynauds or Dercum’s and my Rosacea has flared up since going off the Doxycycline. I guess it is common for symptoms to flare up initially with the diet, but all my autoimmune diseases seem to flare up at the same time – which makes sense. Prior to reintroducing wine between Christmas and New Years – oops – I was feeling less heaviness in my legs and was able to go for a walk without the small hill in our neighborhood kicking my butt! It was awesome! I am once again following it strictly (since Jan 1) and hoping I see the same results again soon. Learned my lesson!

For the most comprehensive info on the AIP diet go to thepaleomom.com and autoimmunewellness.com. Both sites authors have multiple autoimmune diseases and found that following the AIP has helped them manage (possibly reverse) symptoms. The fact that my hemotologist also recommended it was also convincing to stick with it. He said that if nothing else it is a very healthy diet and his experience is that those who following it strictly have amazing results. 🙂

• Dawn DeBois

January 4, 2020 at 2:34 pm

That is great info Carmen!  Thank you!

I have eliminated most bread and sugar from my diet to help with my body’s inflammation in regards to my psoriatic arthritis. My joints definitely hurt more when I’ve splurged on something sweet. I will have to take a look at those websites!

• Ashley

January 6, 2020 at 4:41 pm

I have a few other autoimmune diseases as well…. Hashimoto’s, Sjorens, Postural orthostatic Tachycardia syndrome, and a pending possible lupus diagnosis.

• Price Wooldridge

January 6, 2020 at 6:25 pm

Dermatitis Herpetiformis, or DH.  This is an autoimmune condition resulting in external reactions on the skin.  It is associated with gluten sensitivity, a celiac disorder.  I feel like a slacker with only one other known autoimmune issue.