Lambert-Eaton News Forums Forums COVID-19 and LEMS Cant decide if I should get Covid19 vaccine

• Cant decide if I should get Covid19 vaccine

Posted by marym on March 19, 2021 at 2:52 pm

I’ve asked Health Dept, several people in the medical field and the Infusion Clinic and still dont know what road to take. They refer me to my doctor. I get infusions every 2 weeks now with steroids. I asked Neurologist what the CDC has said if anything. if I should get vaccinated. He said I could get it but said it might be less effective. I would have to go without at least 2 infusions to schedule it. I dont think anyone really knows the long term effect on my weak immune system. I dont want to stop the IVIG it seems to be working but dont want to risk Covid. Other people new to LEMS treatment what were you told if getting IVIG? The stress doesnt help my weakness.</p>

deborah-carpenter replied 6 months ago 3 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • Ashley

March 20, 2021 at 9:04 am

Hey

@marym

The COVID vaccine has been a hot topic on this forum. Both myself and my co-moderator @pricewool have already received both doses of the COVID vaccine. I received Pfizer and Price received the Moderna version, both of us has minimal side effects from the vaccine and also receive IVIG like you.

It’s a personal decision, but the MDA (muscular dystrophy association) has recommended that ANY patients with neuromuscular disorders including LEMS receive the COVID vaccine.

You can check out the article and answers to frequently asked questions here.

Both my neurologist and rheumatologist recommended I receive the vaccine because LEMS patients are at high risk to develop serious complications from COVID-19.

I posted a review of my experience with receiving the COVID vaccine and you can check that out as well. Price also posted a review of his experience and you can see it here.

We also posted a topic that includes other members of the forum with LEMS experience with the COVID Vaccine 

Hope this helps!

• deborah-carpenter

October 20, 2023 at 3:44 pm

I was told ok to get COVID vaccine but 2 weeks after IVIG and 2 weeks before IVIG, so as not to interact. I took 2nd COVID vaccine with days of IVIG and had a horrible reaction–conjunctivitis, muscle pain, full body rash, GI symptoms, body aches.