Lambert-Eaton News Forums Forums General Questions and Topics Fractured Ankle, in Hospital

• Fractured Ankle, in Hospital

Posted by Heather on January 31, 2024 at 2:35 pm

Hi everyone- I’m writing both for suggestions and moral support. I fell on January 17th and triple fractured my ankle. Apparently it’s a rare fracture and it required surgery with hardware including plates and screws. I’m not allowed to put weight on it for 6 weeks, then I have to learn to walk on it again. So I’m in the hospital still recovering… and they’ve ordered me a wheelchair, a knee scooter and a walker… but it all takes strength and time. Thankfully I’m strong, but being able to move safely to and from the bathroom is a big challenge.

I live alone with my teenage daughter and they are arranging intensive PT no matter where I am – I’m getting pT in the hospital now and making progress.

They keep asking where I WANT to go after discharge. Does anyone have experience thinking through these questions?

I can’t have another fall. And I’m still unsteady. If I went home, I would need a caregiver – and I’m not on Medicaid (private insurance). Any advice on ways to get financial assistance with caregivers?

The discharge planners are working on it, but it seems as if the rehab/skilled nursing facilities aren’t jumping at the chance to accept me into their care – I’m told it might be because I get high dose (aka expensive) IVIG. I have a PAP for IVIG now… so I’m not sure what the issue is? If I went to a rehab facility, it would be short term until I’m strong enough to be safely at home. Maybe 1-2 weeks? Is that even worth it? I would love to hear your thoughts if you’ve been through this.

I will add that I have a primary immune deficiency and Adrenal Insufficiency too… so I’ve been going into adrenal crisis repeatedly and I just recently started an infection. I’m on iv antibiotics now and doing better.

Looking forward to your thoughts

Heather

Ginny Boynton replied 2 months, 3 weeks ago 3 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • David1949

February 2, 2024 at 2:21 pm

Heather,

Sorry to hear all that you are going through. I had similar experience with a total knee replacement. I needed IV antibiotics for 7 weeks because there was infection in the bones in my surrounding my knee.

By all means, go to the physical rehab hospital. They will be able to take care of all your physical needs, IV antibiotics, and PT / OT therapies.

I know a caretaker for your daughter is another need but rely on a relative or the parent of a close friend to take her in while you go through rehab.

David M., Suffolk, VA

• Ginny Boynton

February 3, 2024 at 1:50 pm

Hi Heather,

I’m sorry you’re dealing with so much. Do you have anyone to vet the suggestions for where to go post hospital? Sometimes the only places open aren’t the best, but it’s good to get a look at all of the options and ratings for near where you live. From your comment about having private insurance, are you aware that a stay in a rehab facility won’t be covered? I would expect it to be if the doctor prescribes it?

Ginny Boynton