Lambert-Eaton News Forums Forums Living With LEMS Combating Heat Intolerance With LEMS

• david1949

June 24, 2022 at 3:16 pm

I too suffer from heat intolerance with LEMS. I had the heat intolerance before I was diagnosed with LEMS. I remember telling my neurologist at the time about living in air conditioning and horrible sweating if I exerted any energy in the heat. This was part of his referral to the autonomic nervous system lab that was just the beginning of 7 months of testing that began my LEMS journey.

My only solution is to hibernate in AC in the summer months. I look forward to additional responses in this thread.

David

• Ashley

June 27, 2022 at 11:09 am

@dpmitnick

I’m sorry you struggle with this too!

I actually have the opposite problem though, my sweat glands were damaged by LEMS so I don’t sweat much at all, I simply overheat!

Both over and under-sweating are caused by dysautonomia though.

Have you tried wearing a cooling towel around your neck or one of those wearable fans?

Both might be options to help you! 🙂

• david1949

June 28, 2022 at 5:18 pm

Ashley,

I do use a portable fan and cooling bar, across the back of my neck, whenever I am going to be outside or exercising inside in warm weather.

David

• david1949

June 28, 2022 at 5:18 pm

Ashley,

I do use a portable fan and cooling bar, across the back of my neck, whenever I am going to be outside or exercising inside in warm weather.

David

• Ashley

July 12, 2022 at 1:27 pm

@dpmitnick

That’s awesome! What is the cooling bar like? Was it easy to get? Do you find them to be helpful?

• david1949

July 13, 2022 at 2:08 pm

Ashley … see response below to DC. I have been successful with mine for three summers.

• david1949

July 13, 2022 at 2:58 pm

Ashley,

I am very pleased with the one I got two summers ago:
      <h1 id=”title” class=”a-size-large a-spacing-none”><span id=”productTitle” class=”a-size-large product-title-word-break”>Hands Free Neck Fan, BORKA Portable 360°Cooling Hanging Neck Fan USB Rechargeable Personal Mini Wearable Air Conditioner Fan.</span></h1>
      It isn”t available on amazon currently but it may be elsewhere.

This is the closest I found to it and it is available on Amazon:
      <div id=”title_feature_div” class=”celwidget” data-feature-name=”title” data-csa-c-id=”9evthu-ckdznj-9aqvks-6stcd3″ data-cel-widget=”title_feature_div”>
      <div id=”titleSection” class=”a-section a-spacing-none”>
      <h1 id=”title” class=”a-size-large a-spacing-none”><span id=”productTitle” class=”a-size-large product-title-word-break”>USB Portable Air Cooler Mini Electric Air Conditioner Neck Cooling Fan (Updates Black)</span><span id=”titleEDPPlaceHolder”></span></h1>
      </div>
      </div>
      <div id=”bylineInfo_feature_div” class=”celwidget” data-feature-name=”bylineInfo” data-csa-c-id=”bigi5c-n5pmii-o58cdh-nac0c0″ data-cel-widget=”bylineInfo_feature_div”>
      <div class=”a-section a-spacing-none”>Brand: Eonthry</div>
      </div>

• dcarpenter

July 12, 2022 at 7:38 pm

I absolutely struggle with the heat, which exacerbates my weakness and fatigue. I tried to walk in heat and didn’t last a few minutes. I try to get out early, but tough to choreograph when meds kick in with walking early. I’ve thought about the neck fan but see mixed reviews about their effectiveness and placement— any feedback on brands? I have the profuse sweating symptom. Thanks for sharing information about this exasperating issue! Deborah

• david1949

July 13, 2022 at 1:40 pm

This is vary similar to the one I have used for 2 years.

It is available on Amazon (prime day sale today).

USB Portable Air Cooler Mini Electric Air Conditioner Neck Cooling Fan (Updates Black).  Brand – Eonthry.
      <div id=”bylineInfo_feature_div” class=”celwidget” data-feature-name=”bylineInfo” data-csa-c-id=”bigi5c-n5pmii-o58cdh-nac0c0″ data-cel-widget=”bylineInfo_feature_div”></div>

• Ashley

August 10, 2022 at 12:21 pm

@dpmitnick

Thanks for sharing that with us! I may have to look into getting myself one, especially since summers seem to be getting hotter each year!

@lemsdiscussion

Let us know if you ended up purchasing the fan and what you think about it!

• LUCIA

August 19, 2022 at 9:25 am

Me gustaria poder combatir el calor pero realmente el calor no es solo en el cuello sino que si voy con ropa de algodón debajo de la ropa me sale un eritema, una erupcion de piel roja inflamada que cede a la hora o hora y media pero que hace que cuerpo, brazos y piernas me piquen muchísimo hasta un malestar de dolor. y respiro mal. Tengo una fatiga continua y mucha debilidad.
    Con el frio me dan calambres y me quedo rigida.
    En ambos casos lo paso muy mal pero yo creo que este año con las temperaturas tan altísimas lo he vivido peor.

• Ashley

August 24, 2022 at 10:17 am

Translation: I would like to be able to fight the heat but really the heat is not only in the neck but if I go with cotton clothes under the clothes I get an erythema, a rash of inflamed red skin that gives way at the hour or hour and a half but that it makes my body, arms and legs itch a lot to a discomfort of pain. and I breathe badly. I have continuous fatigue and a lot of weakness.
    With the cold they give me cramps and I stay stiff.
    In both cases I have a very bad time but I think that this year with the temperatures so high I have lived worse.

Hola Lucia,

I’m so sorry to hear that, I know the heat really flares my LEMS too. I am ready for fall to begin so we can have some relief. Every summer seems to get hotter.

Hola Lucia! Lamento mucho escuchar eso, sé que el calor realmente enciende mi LEMS también. Estoy listo para que comience el otoño para que podamos tener algo de alivio. Cada verano parece hacer más calor

• roberta

August 26, 2022 at 2:23 pm

I certainly have issues with being in direct sunlight and the heat. The weakness becomes pronounced and my legs feel like wet noodles!!  After almost passing out twice I discovered I was not sweating which caused the overheating. Fortunately I recover quickly after getting in the shade or cooler temperatures.

• Ashley

August 29, 2022 at 8:03 am

@bobbi-lynn-berry

Thanks for sharing! It sounds like you and I experience the same problems in heat. I also get a rash that starts on my chest, cheeks/ears and eventually spreads to my upper arms. Have you ever experienced this too?